Important Nautical intelligence
Safety of Sir John Franklin,
and  his Expedition.
The New York Herald.
Morning Edition - Saturday, october 20, 1849
The Confirmation of the news received by the Niagara.
The highly interesting intelligence received by the Niagara from England, of the probable safety of the long-lost navigator, Sir John Franklin, and his expedition, is confirmed by an arrival at New London.
This news will send a thrill of joy to all parts of the civilized world.
We annex the account brought by the arrival at New London: -
[ From the New London Chronical, Oct.18 ]
Capt. Chapel, of the bark McLellan, of this port, from Davis' Straits, whose arrival we announced yesterday morning, furnishes information which will at  least be read with interest in the United States, and indeed, in every part ofthe world. About the 1st of August, while the McLellan lay in Pond's Bay,  an indentation of Baffin's Bay, in latitude 74. lon. 72, the natives of the coast came on board the Chieftain, an English whaleman, and gave information by signs that two large ships were lying in Prince Regent's Inlet, and had been there fast in the ice for four seasons; and being asked with regard to those on board, whether they were dead or alive, they replied in the same way that the crews were not "asleep" (that is, not dead) but were all well. This  information was considered by the Englishman and by Capt. Chapel, as indicating that the ships of Sir John Franklin were clearly meant.
 The Englishman landed at Cape Hay, some distance from Pond's Bay, a quantity of coal and provisions, with which his ship  was furnished by the British government for the use  of the long missing ships, if they should chance to come there, as they would be obliged to do on their return to England. This is certainly the latest news from that quarter, and there is a possibility, perhaps a probability, that  the commander of the unfortunate expedition and his crew are still alive. Heaven send that it be so!
The McLellan and her gallant officers and crew have reached home almost by miracle - at any rate, have done so under circumstances that entitle tham to the highest credit.
On the 12th of June, the bark got "nipped" in the ice, and only escaped destruction by the almost super-human exertions and good conduct of those who were in charge of her. She was so severely injured that  she leaked so as to be kept afloat only by the incessant work of nearly all hands at the pumps, and by means of two large metallic pumps obtained by Captain C. from the wreck of the English ships crushed and totally lost just ahead of him. The leak was, however, partially remedied by thrumbed sails under the bow, though she continued to leak  badly until her arrival home, and was only kept above water by the continual and unceasing labor at the pumps, till she reached the dock, which, indeed, is still obliged to be continued as she lies at the wharf. The two Engish ships, Superior and Lady Jane, mentioned yesterday, were both lost very near the McLellan. Two of the crew of the lost ships arrived in her. They are natives of the Shetland Islands.
On the 30th of August, the McLellan lost a man named Joseph Schneider, of New York, who fell from the mizzen top-mast-head, and lived but twenty minutes, being shockingly mangled in the head and limbs. He was twenty-one years of age.
It is due to Captain Chapel, his gallant officers and ship's company, again to say that their conduct in brining home their vessel, is deserving of more than common praise, and even with their exertions, it could not have been done, but for the staunch and enduring qualities of the ship. The skill and perseverance of the officers and men were objects of admiration to the Engishmen who witnessed them.
We may give more particulars of the McLellan' voyage hereafter.
Back to Expeditions Page ||| Back To Franklin Expedition Directory
Back to Main Page